Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of The Year!

Well not really, I guess that's reserved for Christmas, but this really is a great time of the year for sports fans. You have the NCAA tournament for the next 2 weeks, baseball's opening night is tonight, The Masters is in 2 weeks, and the Frozen Four is in 2 weeks. There was plenty of action last night....

(1) North Carolina - 78, (4) Louisville - 74
I know what you're thinking, Louisville was a #3 seed and I got the score all messed up. Acutally this was the score from women's NCAA tournament last night. I didn't watch a minute of the game, but I thought it was interesting that the two schools faced each other in both tournaments last night.

NCAA Hockey
So far Michigan and Notre Dame have advanced to the Frozen Four with the final 2 teams to be determined today. Wisconsin will play North Dakota and Miami (Ohio) takes on Boston College. I try to follow WCHA Hockey during the season and I do my best to watch the Frozen Four. I'm a little bummed because the Minnesota Gophers lost last night to Boston College. The Gophers really turned things around at the end of the season. At the end of the regular season the were not expected to get invited to the NCAA tournament. After a run to the WCHA Final Five championship the secured their berth in the tourney only to be sent off to Worchester, MA to face the Boston College Eagles in the 1st round. Anyways, the Gophers lost so now I have to root for the winner of the North Dakota/Wisconsin match up as they will be the only remaining WCHA representative. I can't believe I just said that I was going to root for one of these teams. North Dakota is really good, Miami (Ohio) held down the top spot for a good portion of the year, but they have slipped lately and needed overtime to take down Air Force last night. Michigan is the odds on favorite and I think they will again take home the championship. Here's an interesting little twist to the North Dakota/Wisconsin matchup later today. The game is being played in Madison, WI. North Dakota is the #1 seed in the region and Wisconsin is the #3, but Wisconsin will have a huge home ice advantage. Welcome to the way every other NCAA Division 1 championship works other than football and basketball.

NCAA Tournament
Wow, North Carolina is good and UCLA put together their best game of the tournament so far. I didn't watch much of the UCLA/Xavier game since I was watching the Minnesota/Boston College Hockey game, but from what I can gather the game was never in question. I was able to catch the end of the UNC/Louisville game. When I turned on the game it was only a 4 point game as Louisville had mounted a big comeback. Then the wheels came off and Tyler Hansbrough took over. I really hate North Carolina, but I just can't help but love Hansbrough. I'm really looking forward to today's games I think Memphis falls today to Texas. I know this is the popular pick just because no one believes in Memphis, but I really like Texas. The Kansas/Davidson matchup should be fun. Stephan Curry has been just amazing for Davidson, but I think the ride ends today. Kansas just has too many weapons.

I'm really not sure where this whole blog thing is going to lead, but I'm going to try to post a couple times a week and see if I have any fun doing it.

No comments: