Wednesday, April 2, 2008

IU's Savior, Same old Cubs and other ramblings

Crean & Crimson?

Well, Tom Crean was introduced as the new head coach at IU today. He made quite a first impression. For a brief moment while I was watching the press conference today I actually was impressed. Then he started spouting off about how IU was the only true "state" school and I remembered why I hate IU Basketball fans as much as I hate Notre Dame football fans. Whatever. I think Crean will turn out to be a good coach for IU. I don't think he will end up being worshiped in Bloomington like good 'ole Bobby, but it would be very difficult for him to add to the disaster created by the athletic department and Kelvin Sampson over the past couple years.

From what I've read around message boards and other musings Crean is a good coach who may be a little overated by the national media when it comes to his recruiting ability. He was carried to a Final Four by Dwayne Wade whom he was able to recruit away from the likes of DePaul & Illinois State (Wade had a number of academic questions around him when he was coming out of high school that scared many of the big programs away). Some of the things I've read have suggested that Crean is a tireless worker and has done things "the right way". This is really what Indiana needs. There are potential additional penalties coming from the NCAA in July and this program will be under the microscope for the next few years. Crean appears to have a reputation as someone who at times can be a little ego maniacal (but what successful coach isn't) and he tends to be a little too tan for comfort.

Questions were asked of Crean during his press conference about the incoming recruiting class and the players who were dismissed from the team yesterday (Jamarcus Ellis & Armon Bassett). Crean stated that he will talk to the incoming recruits and tell him what his plans for IU are and take it from there. I think this was a great answer and the proper way to look at the situation. As far as Bassett and Ellis are concerned it was my understanding that Crean hasn't closed the book on these two players, and that he may have a diologue with them regarding their status with the team. I hope that this was just political speak to keep the media off his back, but if he is serious about giving these two kids what amounts to a 3rd or 4th chance to straghten out is the wrong path for this program in my opinion.

IU is going to go through some struggles and the worst may be yet to come as far as the performance on the court, but IU is still a program whose name carries some weight around the country, and a return to prominence is possible with a conservative approach not only from the administration and coaching staff, but also from the fan base.

Oh, and by the way Eric Gordon will be announcing his future intentions on Friday. Given the timing of the announcement I have to believe that he's already made up his mind.


Cubs start 0-2


I had a bad feeling that when all the national media jumped on the Cubs bandwagon and declared them the favorite to go to the World Series that the season was doomed. In holding with Cubs tradition I am officially panicing. The Cubs were supposed to have a powerful pitching staff and an offense that good put runs on the board this year. They were bailed out by Koskue Fukudome's heroics on Monday and ended up blowing the game in the 10th. Today they were smacked around all day. Hopefully tomorrow the Cubs can at least avoid the sweep.

Ramblings

I can't help it I just love hearing this song at the beginning of the baseball season. It always reminds me of my days growing up watching Kirby Puckett patrol center field for the Twins. Plus you just have to love the guitar.


Luxury sports themed condos in West Lafayette? I never thought this would happen, and I'm still skeptical about the long term viability of it.

Purdue lands a wide reciever transfer commitment.

All 82 Blackhawks games to be televised next season. It's about damn time!

No comments: